Saturday, April 18, 2009

Flora's Dial - April 18

Flora's Dial

Years ago my brother gave me a tiny little pocket book for Christmas. Inside was a beautiful little dance card, embossed with incredible detail though it had been kept between the pages of a book for ages.

The book is Flora's Dial, printed in 1846. Each day is listed within with a flower and poem. I've always loved this book and the thoughtfulness of my brother for having given it to me.

I'd like to put Flora's items here as they are so pretty, but also because they show some whimsy of ages past that is difficult to find in this day and age. I hope you will enjoy reading them.

"Flora's Dial: Containing a flower dedicated to each day of the year, and with an appropriate poetic sentiment for each flower," by J. Wesley Hanson. Published by Jonathon Allen, Boston, MA, 1846

~ April 18th ~

Wild Grape - Rural Felicity

Come live with me and be my love,
And we will all the pleasures prove,
Of golden sands, and crystal brooks,
And silken lines, and silver hooks.

There will the river whispering run,
Warmed by thine eyes more than the sun,
And there th' enamoured fish will play,
Begging themselves they may betray.

For thee thou needest no deceit,
For thou thyself art thine own bait,
That fish that is not catched thereby,
He is a wiser fish than I.

~ poem byDonne

A fine sentiment for today, with this lovely Spring sun shining down and all the trees in bloom.
Sometimes those silver hooks need polishing . . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my personal blog.

All views written herein are my personal beliefs, values, etc. If you do not agree with what I say, so be it; however, this is not a forum for argument, cruelty or slander. Only constructive or polite comments are welcome!

Life, Love, and Strength!