Sunday, September 6, 2009

A New Grounding Soap is on the Way, Folks!

Making a new Grounding Soap and preparing Oil Infusions under Rainy Skies!

(the original pic. of my Grounding Soap)

I've been a bit busy this long weekend . . . .

Well, I could have been busier to be honest, but much like making candy, cold process soap tends to do odd things when the humidity is up. With the heavy rains we've had over the past 24 hours, making more than one batch this weekend just hasn't been possible.



So to make up for that wet fact, I've been busy blending and infusing oils. Infusing herbs in warm oil allows the oil to draw out the healing or nourishing properties of plants and resins, thus capturing them and making the oil potent. Since it's been dark and dismal around here lately, I chose to hot infuse the oils - on a low flame in a double boiler.



See - making this stuff is like cooking! Well, sometimes. :o)



The first hot oil infusion is a base of extra virgin olive oil and castor oil. I poured this onto several famous healing herbs, allowing them to become saturated. This infusion will act as the structure for my upcoming Arnica Healing Salve. Arnica is amazing - if you've ever been bumped, thumped, or banged on, arnica works wonders at speeding up the healing process.



The second oil infusion is a base of extra virgin olive oil, castor oil, and hazelnut oil. These oils saturated a mass of rich and earthy spices - all in preparation for a new batch of Bay Rum Soap. I added a few new herbs this time, just to tweak the recipe and amp up the richness Bay Rum is famous for. I can't wait to see how she handles in the saponification process!



Now as for that one batch of soap I mentioned, it's a new Grounding Soap. You know - the "patchouli for people who don't like patchouli" soap! It's a different twist on the old recipe, as I've added freshly ground patchouli to the almond meal. There's also a bit more sweet orange essential oil this time. I really like this soap and the way it smells once you've rinsed it off. It's breathy and gentle, earthy and tinged with possibilities. I can't wait to see how it pulls from the mold box. I'm having to let her set up a bit longer as the darn thing just didn't want to trace!



Well, that's just a heads up on what I've been up to this Labor Day weekend. I hope you got to enjoy the Full Moon - it was simply to cloudly here to view Her unfortunately. Didn't keep me from acting as befits however. ;o)



Many blessings on this wet, rainy afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my personal blog.

All views written herein are my personal beliefs, values, etc. If you do not agree with what I say, so be it; however, this is not a forum for argument, cruelty or slander. Only constructive or polite comments are welcome!

Life, Love, and Strength!